Monday 6 January 2014

A Brief Review of 2013

Wow! I cannot believe that 2013 has come and gone! I had such a fun year filled with running, family, friends, camping, and following Chris to his motorcycle and mountain biking races.
My year started off with lots of training for our run in Hollywood! We spent 10 great days in California where my sister, brother in law and myself ran the Hollywood Half Marathon.
Once we returned it was time to get serious as I ran my very first full Marathon here in Red Deer. I missed my goal by only 4 minutes! (I guess that is something I can aim for this year.)
The weekend after Woody's Marathon I entered a 10K in Edmonton last minute, and I won! Really! I won 1st overall in the 10K! It was my very first Gold Medal :)
At the beginning of July I was fortunate to run and camp with my family at Sinister 7 in the Crowsnest Pass, AB. Our team consisted of my sister (Kim), her husband (Erik), my husband (Chris), his brother (Matt), our friend (Theresa) and myself. The run is 147 amazing and difficult kilometres throughout the mountains of Alberta. Our team did really well and I ran the last 2 legs totalling almost 27KM. It was the first time I had ever run in the dark, and I loved it! It was during the final leg that I rolled my ankle. I had about 5 km left, I had just finished reading Eat and Run by Scott Jurek and all I could hear was the words from his book. "Sometimes we just do things".  I kept replaying his running injuries and his finishes that he discusses and it got me through,  I finished! And still felt pretty good.
It seemed like a long road, but I focused on cycling and physio for my ankle, and with great determination I was able to run Leg 4 of the Canadian Death Race on a team with my husband, 2 of my brother in laws and my athletic therapist (Thanks so much Heather for all that you do for me!). Deathrace to me was amazing and an eyeopener to what my goals for the coming year would be. Not at one point did I question what I was doing during my 38 km trail run, but rather, I enjoyed and relished in every amazing moment! The beauty, the people, the adrenalin and the excitement!
In September we did our annual run in Banff, AB. This was the first year we did it as a "Girls Weekend". It was really fun and I am so lucky to have such amazing friends! ( I also set a PB for my 10k at the run in the mountains).
In October I went home to Fernie to see my parents. It just happened to be the Fernie Half Marathon that weekend, so of course I ran it. I had just received my INKnBURN shipment so I was definitely the best dressed there! I wore my skeleton top and Robot capri pants, for the half human, half robot look. I received  compliments from at least every 2nd person, and I made the front page of the Fernie Free Press. This run and visit home also reminded me how gorgeous the Elk Valley is! I forget sometimes how pretty and well kept my home area is. I need to make it home more often!
Chris and finished off the year in Las Vegas where we both ran the Rock and Roll Half Marathon. It was Chris's official first Half! I am so proud of him and his determination!
And so 2013 comes to an end. I am so excited for what 2014 has in store for us! We have big racing plans for the coming year and I look forward to sharing every moment with you.
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment